STATS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT GEN Z
LEARN MORE: UNDERSTANDING — AND APPRECIATING — GEN Z
- 1997-2000 ... Year (experts vary) of this generation’s birth
- 30 minutes ... Max time being phoneless before many (31%) feel uneasy3
- 8 seconds ... Length of attention span4
- ~50 ... % connected to the Internet for 10+ hours/day3
- 95 ... % use or access a smartphone3
- 55 ... % use phones for 5+ hours/day3
- 45 ... % online “almost constantly”5
- 29 ... % use phones after midnight every night3
- 71 ... % watch 3+ hours/day of online videos3
- 72 ... % want to communicate face-to-face at work6
- 12 ... # of times they text during class on average7
- 7 ... # of minutes on average they’re reaching for a smart device8
1Higher Ed Survey: AI and Academic Video [Web log post]. (2018, September 11). Retrieved from https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-WMXZKSNNL/.
2Barnes & Noble College. Getting to Know Gen Z: Exploring Middle and High Schoolers’ Expectations for Higher Education. Basking Ridge, N.J., 2016.
3The Center for Generational Kinetics. The State of Gen Z 2018. Austin, Texas, 2018.
45 Differences Between Marketing to Millennials vs. Gen Z [Web log post]. (2017, November 27). Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/deeppatel/2017/11/27/5-differences-between-marketing-to-millennials-vs-gen-z/#7cc03d8e2c9f.
5Teens, Social Media & Technology 2018 [Web log post]. (2018, May 31). Retrieved from https://www.pewinternet.org/2018/05/31/teens-social-media-technology-2018/pi_2018-05-31_teenstech_0-05/.
6Generation Z: What to Expect From the Newest Addition to the Workforce [Web log post]. 2019, February. Retrieved from https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/02/meet-generation-z-the-newest-member-to-the-workforce/.
7Flanigan, A.E., & Kiewra, K.A. (2018). What College Instructors Can Do About Student Cyber-Slacking. Educational Psychology Review, 30, 585-597.
8How to Teach Gen Z Students [Web log post]. (2017, May 9). Retrieved from https://www.aicpa.org/interestareas/accountingeducation/newsandpublications/how-to-teach-generation-z-students.html.
9Meeting the Generational Demands of Gen Z [Web log post]. (2018, October 25). Retrieved from https://edtechmagazine.com/higher/article/2018/10/meeting-educational-demands-generation-z.