YOUR INFORMATIVE, EXPERT, INSIDER GUIDE TO THE NGN
ALL THE HELPFUL RESOURCES YOU NEED TO LEARN ABOUT NEXT GEN NCLEXThe National Council of the State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) will launch a new version of the NCLEX — referred to as the Next Generation NCLEX (NGN) — in 2023 or soon after. Its purpose? To better measure candidates’ clinical judgment ability, a proven necessity for entry-level nurses.
Research has demonstrated that graduates who pass the NCLEX have knowledge but not necessarily the ability to use it to make clinical decisions. Thus, the NGN will produce more fidelity on how students will actually practice as nurses versus simply measuring memory-based, stand-alone knowledge. The new test will require more complex item types and changes in scoring methods.
ATI fully endorses NCSBN’s efforts to continually improve the NCLEX and protect the safety of the public. To support NCSBN’s efforts, ATI has developed — and continues to create — resources to help educators embrace the new test.
Most recently, ATI launched its Next Generation NCLEX Resource Center. This centralized, online location includes links to educational resources focused on four primary areas:
1) EXPERT GUIDANCE ON THE NEXT GENERATION NCLEXATI Chief Nursing Officer Sheryl Sommer, PhD, RN, CNE, is in regular contact with NCSBN's key officials, including Phil Dickison, PhD, RN, its Chief Officer, Operations & Examinations.
As NCSBN reveals new information about advancements and modifications to the NGN, ATI develops resources to help nurse educators process this information and incorporate it into their curricula. The information is communicated via videos, interviews, articles, infographics, and industry bulletins based on information directly from the source: NCSBN.
2) CLINICAL JUDGMENT, THE BACKBONE OF THE NGN
No aspect of nursing today is more important than developing the skill of clinical judgment. Resources from ATI that support educators in developing students’ clinical judgment skills include:
- The ATI Guide for Clinical Judgment. This “training manual” assists educators in promoting clinical judgment skills by using existing ATI resources so faculty don’t have to spend time creating their own materials. The guide is based on the NCSBN’s Clinical Judgment Measurement Model and contains “Factors to Consider,” including “Environmental and individual factors” and “Clinical judgment functions and expected responses and behaviors.”
- Articles in resource journals, poster presentations, PowerPoints, & more. Research by and guidance from ATI nurse educator experts help faculty be confident in understanding new ideas, such as NCSBN’s Clinical Judgment Measurement Model and how it compares to traditional theories.
- ATI’s Blog. Interviews with industry experts form the basis for videos, articles, infographics that explain how to incorporate clinical judgment into lesson plans and more, along with links to valuable resources.
3) UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION FROM NCSBN
To help educators prepare for the momentous change being introduced by the NGN, ATI gathers all the need-to-know information in one spot — including updates directly from NCSBN. Faculty can find links to “NCLEX Talks” videos, articles in “NCLEX News,” “In Focus,” and “Leader to Leader,” plus research in nursing journals.
As NCSBN continues to research new item types and finalize scoring methods, it offers key recommendations to educators, including:
- Focus on incorporating clinical judgment experiences in classrooms, labs, simulations, and clinicals
- Sign up for NCSBN-organized seminars on writing NGN-style items
- Hit pause on trying to write their own NGN-style items for testing until more information is available. Instead, focus on developing NGN-style items for teaching.
4) ATI TOOLS TO PREPARE STUDENTS
- NCLEX Experience. An engaging tutorial provides practice answering the most-anticipated NGN-style item types that are designed to assess students’ clinical judgment skills.
- Real Life Clinical Reasoning Scenarios. Computer-based simulations develop clinical reasoning, while live-action videos create “emotional fidelity.” Rationales provide immediate feedback after decisions are made.
- Nurse’s Touch. Unfolding scenarios give students opportunities to strengthen clinical judgment skills as they select appropriate verbal and nonverbal responses
- HealthAssess. Students practice on a diverse group of highly responsive, virtual humans, forming and enhancing clinical judgment with each interaction.
- Video Case Studies. Live-actor video scenarios help students visualize what to expect in clinical. Students exercise clinical judgment skills as they form and articulate responses to challenge questions and then learn from expert responses.
- NurseLogic. Students are introduced to ATI’s "Helix of Success," a model used to illustrate how knowledge and clinical judgment prepare students for academic and NCLEX success.
- Skills Modules 3.0. Students refine their clinical judgment skills before entering the skills lab by preparing beforehand with virtual scenarios, online tutorials, step-by-step demonstration videos, checklists, quick references, animations, pre- and post-tests, challenge cases, remediation, and more. Skills Modules 3.0 brings to life 180 skills in 30 newly formatted modules, so students enter the skills lab ready for hands-on time finessing technique instead of learning the steps.
NEW ATI SOLUTIONS IN DEVELOPMENT
- RN version: Updated NGN items (case study format + single episode). COMING EARLY 2021
- PN version. COMING EARLY 2021
Assessment functionality & enhancements
- Writing NGN-style items. ONGOING
- A new testing engine to support NGN-item types. IN DEVELOPMENT
- New scoring methods for NGN items. IN DEVELOPMENT
- Pretesting NGN items. COMING 2021
- NGN items in select Content Mastery Series assessments. COMING 2022
- NGN items in the Comprehensive Predictor assessment. COMING EARLY 2023
A first-of-its-kind, interactive solution that engages students and enhances learning via a 40-lesson alternative to dull textbooks. Content is broken into easy-to-digest segments using rich multimedia graphics, videos, and activities, including a special focus on the nursing process and clinical judgment. COMING FALL/WINTER 2020-2021
ATI SOLUTIONS IN RESEARCH PHASE
Custom Assessment Builder
- NGN-item functionality
- NGN items in ATI bank
AS YOU LEARN ABOUT THE NGN, WHAT QUESTIONS DO YOU STILL HAVE? ASK THEM IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.